Sunday, May 3, 2009

What happens when I speak Chinese...

A couple of weeks ago I was got on the bus and sat next to this really nice lady. She just kept talking to me even though it was obvious that I didn't understand a whole lot. We finally got down on the level where I was understanding... more. We talked the whole bus ride. And when I say we talked I mean tried to talk the whole bus ride. She lives in the same community we do. We got off and kept walking and talking. She took me up to her room and showed me some pictures, where she worshipped, and some ancient medical tools that looked like they had been used in world war 1. It was really random but fun to see. We left her apartment and she walked me up to my apartment. When I was getting ready to go inside she kept saying we should get together for breakfast. I said, "yes, yes, that would be good."I was thinking ya sometime we will get together but she was not saying "sometime" we should get together. She was saying "On sunday we should get together." I am stupid and just kept saying yes without really knowing what she was saying.
Sunday morning came and I just got out of the shower and was enjoying sitting on the couch reading when the doorbell rang. I thougt it was one of the girls from downstairs but I opened the door and it was her! She kept motioning for me to go brush my teeth and wash my face so we could go. I didn't know what else to except to invite her in and go get ready. I went into my room to change. Annie was just waking up and I said, "Annie that lady from the bus is here. I don't know what we are going to do or where we are going. All I know is that food will be involved and you are coming with me!" So she got ready real fast and came. Seantay woke up around the same time and came with us too. We just blindly followed her just hoping for the best. She took us to her apartment and we tried talking for a while until she got a phone call and she motioned for us to follow her out. We went outside and got in this little golf cart with this lady we didn't know. The lady ended up being her daughter in law and we went over to her house for breakfast. And the best part was that her daughter in law, Jenny, speaks a little bit of english so we were able to get some things clarified. It was an interesting morning. We had a good laugh about the whole crazy situation when we got back.
In Jenny's living room. They live in a very nice house. They even had a back yard with grass!

This is Pan Su Xiang the lady I met on the bus. She is an awesome lady. She was a doctor for 40 years and she had 5 kids. Yes, you read right 5 kids. She has traveled all over the world and is determined for me to understand her when she is speaking Chinese. I am so grateful she keeps talking to me even though she knows I hardly understand a thing she is saying. We were all able to learn a lot that day. The main thing I learned though was to make sure before you know what a person is saying before you say yes to something.
We ended up having a really fun morning. It was just surprising. We actually ended up making some more plans with their family for the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment