Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The sick shrimp!





We decided that we wanted to really be Chinese one night so we were going to learn how to make an authentic meal. We all agreed on homemade potstickers; therefore, we needed shrimp. Ok, let's talk about shrimp/meat in this China place. They don't have meat in the grocery store. You have to walk down this dark alley into this stinky meat market. They have chicken coops, fish farms, raw meat sitting out everywhere, stray cats and dogs, and rats running around. The meat market is just all around grose. Annie was nominated to be the meat girl. She came out with this bag and just asked me to hold it for a second. The shrimp were still jumping! Apparently the lady just scooped the shrimp out of the water and put them into the bag. By the time we got home they weren't jumping any more so we just figured they were dead. We started pulling some out to get them ready for cooking and all the sudden those creepy little legs start moving... You bet we were all screaming. I don't want to admit it but I was definitely screaming. There had been about five that were still alive so we moved them to the stove to boil them. I don't know why we didn't think just boiling them in the first place. Once we put them into the water they came back from the dead. We had shrimp jumping onto the floor and onto the cabinets. They were going crazy and so were we! It had been two hours since we had gotten them. How could they still be alive? They never quit! We eventually cooked them and got rid of their heads, tails, and those creepy little legs but it took us about an hour and a half to stop screaming and do it. Longest dinner preparation ever. ugh. I hate those stupid little legs.

4 comments:

  1. Just looking at that pot of shrimp makes me sick! I'm glad you were all able to eat them after all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearing that story again made it even funnier! Glad you survived girl! :) Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EWWWwwww. Honestly...that sorta makes me sick/queasy to my stomach!! what stories you will have when you come home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny that they were still alive! I have a roommate from Romania and he buys real shrimp like that all of the time! It makes me sick to watch him take all their lil legs off and stuff to eat them! He made me help him one day and I was about ready to die and they weren't even alive! What an experience! :)

    ReplyDelete